- 45 minutes
- 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350. Line bottoms of 2 9 inch round baking pans with greased paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together milk, eggs, oil, and vanilla extract until well blended. In another smaller bowl, mix dry ingredients: cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually beat into the milk mixture.
- Transfer into the greased pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pans for at least 10 minutes before transferring to wire racks, then remove paper. Cool completely.
- To make the filling, drain cherries reserving ½ cup juice. In a small saucepan whisk sugar, cornstarch, and reserved cherry juice. Then add cherries. Cook over low heat for 10-12 minutes stirring constantly until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat, stir in brandy. Cool completely.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Place one cake layer on a serving plate, cover in a layer of whipped cream. Spread ¾ cup of filling, but stop around 1 inch border of cake edge. Top with a layer of cake. Repeat filling and cake layering twice. Decorate top of cake with any remaining filling.
- Refrigerate until serving.