- 30 minutes
- 1 hour
- Makes 6 to 8
A delicious version of the classic green bean casserole! The fried shallots add another element of flavor to an already-yummy dish!
- In a large saucepan, add 1 inch of canola oil. Carefully heat the oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (use a thermometer to check).
- As the oil heats up, place 1 cup of flour in a bowl and dredge the large shallot rings in it.
- When the oil reaches approximately 350 degrees, start dropping the shallot rings into the oil in small amounts. Let them fry until they turn golden brown (it takes a few minutes), taking care not to burn them (I did this).
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the fried shallots and place on a paper towel. Set aside. Repeat until all the shallots are fried.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the bell pepper, the onion, the diced shallots, and the garlic. Add the salt and pepper, then sauté for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add 1/3 cup flour.
- Add the water, then add the cream, stirring continually.
- Continue cooking on medium heat.
- Add ½ cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Add the cayenne pepper.
- Now you need your cooked green beans.
- Add the green beans to the sauce mixture, mix thoroughly.
- Transfer to a buttered baking dish and top with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Add the breadcrumbs.
- Add the fried shallots and bake in a 350-degree oven for approximately 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Serve and enjoy!