- 20 Minutes
- 10 Minutes
- Makes 12 Cups
Did you know you can make individual mac and cheese cups that are healthy with hidden vegetables? Your kids won't see it coming. Try baking them today!
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the small shells, and allow the water to come back to a boil. Add the broccoli, stir, and cook the pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta and broccoli are cooking, melt two tablespoons of butter in a microwave safe bowl. Add bread crumbs to melted butter, and stir to coat the bread crumbs completely. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining two tablespoons of butter. Add flour, and whisk to combine. Allow the flour and butter to bubble slightly, and cook for 1-2 minutes to cook out any flour taste.
- Slowly whisk the milk into the butter and flour, and whisk until thickened. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Whisk to combine.
- Sprinkle in the cheese 1/2 cup at a time, and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Turn off the heat from under the boiling pasta pot, and drain pasta water from the cooked pasta and broccoli. Set the drained pot back onto the stove, and use a wooden spatula to stir the broccoli into the pasta, breaking the broccoli into tiny pieces as you stir.
- Add the cooked pasta and small broccoli pieces directly into the pot of cheese sauce, and stir to coat the shells and broccoli entirely in sauce.
- Spray 12 muffin liners with baking spray. Divide the broccoli mac and cheese between each muffin liner, and top each with with buttery bread crumbs.
- Bake at 400 F for 10-12 minutes, until bread crumbs are browned and crispy.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool for five minutes.
- Serve hot!