- 30 minutes
- 3 minutes
- Makes 12 tortillas
- In a mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (it's easiest to make this dough in an electric mixer, just put everything in the bowl and use the dough hook).
- While mixing, slowly add the oil, then slowly add the cream, then slowly add the hot water. You can add a little extra water if needed.
- Once the dough takes some shape and is soft but not sticky, knead it for five minutes in the mixer or by hand. Add flour as needed if the dough is too sticky.
- Let the dough rest for 15 to 20 minutes, then cut into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then roll them into 8-inch circles. The circles need to be very thin - almost translucent.
- In an ungreased cast iron skillet over medium heat, cook each tortilla for 45 to 60 seconds per side. Continue until all tortillas are cooked (the last ones will probably look better than the first ones).
- Place each cooked tortilla in a tortilla warmer or inside a clean dishcloth folded over the tortillas.
- Serve with your favorite fillings or toppings.