- 10 minutes
- 5 minutes
- Makes 20 cucumber rounds (1 1/4 cups hummus)
Hummus, a thick, well-seasoned garbanzo bean spread, has been enjoyed in eastern Mediterranean countries since ancient times. It makes a tasty and refreshing, do-ahead appetizer when spread on garden-fresh cucumber rounds.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley, basil, oregano, coriander, and cumin.
- Combine the garbanzo beans and lemon juice in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add the bean mixture to the skillet. Stir until evenly combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let cool.
- To prepare the appetizer, spread about 1 tablespoon of the hummus on each cucumber slice. Garnish each with a piece of bell pepper or grape tomato.