- 20 minutes
- 12 minutes
- Makes 16 hush puppies
- To prepare the dipping sauce, stir together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, salt, and cayenne pepper.
In a separate small bowl, stir together the buttermilk, egg, and onion.
Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. (Overmixing causes a tough texture.) Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Place a wire rack over layers of paper towels on the countertop.
Pour the oil in a 6-quart Dutch oven (or a deep cast-iron skillet), making certain that it is 2 to 3 inches deep. Bring to 350°F over medium-high heat, watching the temperature using a candy/deep-fat fry thermometer clipped to the side of the pan.
Using a small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop portions of the batter into the oil.
Fry in 3 batches, each for about 2 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown.
As the hush puppies are cooked, remove them from the oil using a slotted spoon.
Transfer the cooked hush puppies to the prepared wire rack.
- Serve immediately while warm with a bowl of the dipping sauce.
- Tip: For do-ahead preparation, refrigerate the cooked hush puppies in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Reheat in a 450°F oven for about 10 minutes.