- 30 minutes
- 25 minutes
- 6 to 8 servings
- Heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Dice half of the potatoes and place in a saucepan. Lightly salt and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil, then turn down the heat to simmer until tender (7-10 minutes).
- Cook the bacon until crisp. Set aside drippings and place bacon on a paper towel. When cool, crumble bacon and set aside.
- Grate the remaining potatoes. Wrap in a kitchen towel and wring out tightly to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Remove cooked potatoes from the pot, drain and mash them until they are smooth.
- Add grated potatoes to the mashed potatoes. Stir in egg, flour, baking powder, pepper and bacon crumbles. Stir in buttermilk a little at a time until the batter is thick (like the consistency of a rice pudding). Mix until smooth.
- Coat a heavy frying pan or griddle with bacon drippings until water droplets bounce or sputter. Be careful not to get the pan too hot. You will be making these in small batches so as not to crowd the pan or griddle. (Note: As they are finished, place pancakes on an oven-safe plate in a 200 degree oven to keep warm.)
- Drop ¼ to 1/3 cup of batter into the pan. Spread pancakes to desired thickness. Add a small amount of bacon drippings into the pan as needed. Cook until browned, then flip and cook until other side is slightly brown and crispy. Combine the crème fraiche with the chives and lemon zest, put a dollop on top of the pancakes and serve.