- 15 minutes
- 45 minutes
- In a large mixing bowl, using either a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer, with the paddle attachment, combine the butter with the flour, sugar and salt. Combine until the butter is mixed into the flour and is small pieces.
- Add the buttermilk, eggs, orange zest and orange oil and combine. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl occasionally with a rubber spatula.
- Add the dried cranberries and apricot pieces. The dough will be sticky and wet.
- Dump the dough out onto a well-floured work surface and knead for few minutes. Forming it into a round loaf. Spray a 9 or 10-inch cast iron skillet generously with cooking spray. Place the loaf into the cast iron skillet and cut an X into the top of the bread with a sharp, serrated knife.
- Brush lightly with an egg wash. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for about 45 minutes. Or until a toothpick, when inserted into the center comes out clean. The loaf will also have a hollow sound when you tap on it.
- Remove from the cast iron skillet and let cool on a baking rack. Serve warm with butter.