- 40 minutes
- 20 minutes
Tart lemon with a sweetened meringue makes the perfect sweet treat!
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a 9 inch pie pan with refrigerated pre-made pie crust.
- Mix the large egg and 2 tablespoon of cream and glaze the pie crust.
- Poke the bottom of the pie crust with a fork.
- Line the pie crust with parchment paper and weigh the shell down with some rice or pie weights. Brown for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove rice or pie weights and cook an additional 7-10 minutes. Cool.
- Start the filling while the pie crust is baking. In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, flour, salt and sugar over medium heat. Gradually add 2 cups of cold water. Boil the mixture whisking constantly for 4 minutes.
- Remove the cornstarch mix from the heat.
- Slowly add a small amount of cornstarch slurry mixture to the egg yolks. When the eggs are tempered with the slurry add the egg slurry mixture to the saucepan.
- Cook the egg yolk and slurry mixture on low for 5 minutes.
- Remove the sauce pan from the heat. Add in the lemon juice, orange juice, limoncello, lime and lemon zest.
- Add the 4 tablespoons of butter in small pieces one at a time until it is dissolved in the filling. Pour mix into a large bowl and let cool.
- Pour the filling into the cooled pie shell and refrigerate covered with aluminum foil for at least an hour until firm.
- Prepare the meringue.
- Combine egg whites, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. This bowl should be sitting on a pan of simmering water. Beat until the sugar is dissolved over water. Eggs must be fresh to create a meringue.
- Remove bowl from heat and whip into stiff peaks.
- Spread meringue over pie. Dust with additional lemon zest. You may also brown the meringue by cooking it for 2-3 minutes at 450 degree oven.