- 15 minutes
- 60 minutes
- Brush vegetable shortening with a pastry brush into a 12-cup Bundt cake pan. Flour the pan and tap out excess flour. Set aside.
- Separate the eggs, carefully. Do not get any egg yolk into the egg whites or they will not whip. Whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar in a clean, grease free bowl. Whip until you have a fairly stiff peak. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using either a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar gradually, beating thoroughly. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula occasionally.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Scrape the bowl again. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, buttermilk and lemon oil. Combine.
- Sift the flour, salt, and baking soda into a bowl. Gently add the dry mixture to the cake batter. Scrape the bowl again, mixing everything thoroughly. You want the cake batter to be smooth.
- Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the cake batter.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for about 1 hour 10 minutes. Or until a toothpick when inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Remove the cake from the pan and let it cool completely on a baking rack. Once cooled, then drizzle with lemon icing.
- (Note: To make the icing, simply whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and milk. Add more milk if you want a thinner icing)