- 20 Minutes
- 8 Hours 30 Minutes
- Turn a large slow cooker to the “low” setting.
- Pat boneless pork shoulder completely dry. Coat pork in two tablespoons of vegetable oil, and lightly season all sides of the pork with half of the salt and pepper.
- Whisk all sugars, spices, and remaining salt and pepper together in a medium bowl.
- Pour remaining two tablespoons of vegetable oil into a large sauté pan over medium heat. Brown the pork shoulder on all sides, then transfer the pork shoulder to the slow cooker.
- Turn the heat under the sauté pan to medium-low, and pour one cup water into the pan. Scrape any remaining browned bits into the water, and remove the pan from the heat.
- Sprinkle the sugar and spice mixture over the surface of the pork in the slow cooker, turning the pork as you sprinkle to entirely coat the pork with the spice blend.
- Pour water and browned bits mixture directly onto the pork in the slow cooker. Pour in apple juice, and cover the slow cooker.
- Cook on the “low” setting for 8 hours, turning the pork occasionally.
- After 8 hours, or when the pork is easily shreddable, use two forks to shred the pork directly in the slow cooker. Allow the shredded pork to cook in the slow cooker for another 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Serve warm pulled pork on hamburger buns, top with barbecue sauce, and enjoy!