- 30 Minutes
- Makes 4-5 Servings.
Happy April Fool's Day! Surprise your friends and family with this sponge cake that actually looks like a dirty kitchen sponge. Get the recipe.
- Remove the pound cake from the container and allow it to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Take a knife and carefully trim the sides and top of the cake in order to make a rectangle and allow the color of the cake to show through.
- Place the sugar cookie crumbs in a bowl and mix with blue and green food coloring to achieve the desired shade of forest green.
- Place the frosting in a small bowl and mix with the blue and green food coloring until you achieve the same shade of forest green.
- In a small bowl, mix together the lemon extract and a few drops of yellow food coloring. Use that mixture to paint the sides of the pound cake to achieve a more vibrant yellow (if desired).
- Frost the top of the cake with a very thin coat of the forest green frosting.
- Place the colored cookie crumbs in a flour sifter and carefully apply the cookie crumbs on top of the frosting.
- Add a bit of milk foam on top to create the “suds” effect for your sponge, or you can use whipped cream.
- This cake is small and only makes 4 or 5 servings, so you might want to make two if you need to feed a larger crowd.