- 25 minutes
- 20 minutes
The best thing about orzo is how tasty it is with virtually any protein. Orzo is a type of pasta shaped like a grain of rice, so a tiny bit holds a ton of flavor and is filling. This versatile pasta soaks up sauces and is a great platform for a beautiful salmon steak. Together, they make a healthful, tasty team.
- Boil orzo as directed on the box for four people. Drain any excess water and set aside.
- Salt and pepper salmon steaks and place in a plastic bag.
- Smash clove of garlic with pinch of salt. Place garlic and salt in small bowl and microwave for 15 seconds. Remove garlic from microwave and smash further. To the garlic add lemon juice, lemon zest, pinch of salt, pinch of pepper, chopped parsley and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Mix vigorously with fork. Pour half of the mixture into the bag with the salmon and let marinate for a few minutes.
- In a skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium heat. Add salmon to hot pan skin side down and cook until salmon becomes a very light pink color and flaky.
- Dress the orzo with remaining marinade and mix in chopped spinach, onion and tomatoes and stir well.
- Place a cup of dressed orzo on serving plates and top each with a cooked salmon steak. Refrigerate remaining orzo to serve the next day as a chilled lunch treat by itself or with leftover salmon.