- 3 hours 30 minutes
- 10 minutes
- 18 sandwich cookies
Enjoy the sweet and crisp flavor of a peppermint patty, but as cookies that you can make with your little ones as you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day together. Let your kiddos help with the measuring of your ingredients, then mix, bake and cool. Filling the cookies and making cookie sandwiches can be a family affair as well. So, have a little family fun and enjoy a sweet treat this St. Patrick’s Day with this recipe for Mint Chocolate Sandwich Cookies.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt together until well-combined. With a hand or stand mixer, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beating again until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients gradually, mixing on low until a dough forms. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, make filling by beating together frosting with mint extract and food coloring. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough 1/8-inch-thick. With a 2-inch round cutter, cut 36 cookies. Place cookies 1 inch apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before assembling.
- Place 1 tablespoon of filling on one cookie and top with a second cookie, pressing so filling reaches the edges.