- 25 minutes
- 10 miutes
- Makes 6 ice cream sandwiches
- Using a hand mixer, cream butter and sugar in a small bowl. Slowly add egg, milk and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a larger bowl. Gradually add the creamed mixture just until blended. Evenly divide the dough into two portions and flatten. Wrap both portions in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Roll out the dough to 1/8- to 1/4-in. thickness on a floured surface. Use a floured cookie cutter to form cookies. Place the cookies about 2 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. To keep the cookies from rising too high, prick the tops with a fork.
- Bake the cookies at 350° for about 7-10 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Soften the ice cream by leaving it out for about 5 minutes. Mix the chocolate chips (if using) into the mint ice cream. Spread 1/4 to 1/3 cup ice cream on top of six cookies. Top with the remaining cookies. Wrap individually in parchment paper or plastic wrap and freeze.