- 20 Minutes
- 1 Hour 15 Minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Spread the cubed French bread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the bread is toasted and dry.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onion and cook for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the celery, garlic, chopped thyme, salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, add the toasted bread and toss to combine.
- Whisk together the eggs and chicken broth in a medium bowl. Pour over the stuffing mixture and toss to combine. Mix in the Swiss cheese. Transfer the stuffing to the prepared baking dish.
- Cover the stuffing with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish with chopped thyme.
Substitute: For an easy substitution, replace the loaf of bread with 2 (6 oz.) boxes of Food Lion Stuffing Mix. Prepare the vegetables and seasoning according to the directions and mix with the stuffing mix. Pour 3 cups of chicken broth over the mixture, toss with the shredded cheese and bake 30 minutes covered plus 10 minutes uncovered.