- 45 minutes
- 45 minutes
- 12 to 14
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the egg yolks, oil, orange zest, orange juice (reserve one teaspoon), and orange flesh; and beat until thoroughly combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients while continuing to mix until thoroughly combined.
- In another large bowl, use the stand mixer to mix the egg whites with the extra teaspoon of orange juice. Beat until stiff peaks form. Fold the eggs whites into the orange cake mix and gently fold by hand to combine the two.
- Spoon the cake batter into a 10-inch tube pan (don't grease it). Bang the pan against the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 45 minutes (the top of the cake should spring back when pressed).
- When the cake is finished baking, turn the tube pan upside-down to cool. Once it's completely cool, carefully loosen the sides/center with a knife and (hopefully) the cake will release in one unit. If not-repair! :)
- To create the frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, orange juice, orange zest, and milk until it reaches a consistency that isn't too thick or too thin - aim for a consistency that's not too thin but will still trickle down the sides of the cake. If it's too thick, add a bit more orange juice; if it's too thin, add a little more powdered sugar.
- Pour the frosting over the top of the cake, allowing it to run down the sides. Garnish with alternating colors of orange and white jelly beans.