- 15 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 24 bars
This incredible recipe will become a family favorite on the holiday dessert table.
- In a 3 quart sauce pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add sugars and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until sugars dissolve. Reduce heat to low and add 1 1/3 cups of the chocolate morsels (about 8 ounces), stirring until chocolate is thoroughly melted. Remove pan from the heat and let cool for 20 minutes.
- While chocolate mixture cools, preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9 x 13" pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder and stir with a whisk or fork until blended. Set aside.
- Unwrap peppermint rounds, entire bag if you like a stronger taste of peppermint or half bag for milder taste. Place them into a baggie and seal shut. With a rolling pin gently break into pieces. Set aside. When chocolate-butter mixture is lukewarm, beat in eggs, one at a time, using a wooden spoon. Make sure each egg is thoroughly blended into the mixture before adding the next egg. Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Add flour mixture, 1/2 of crushed peppermint, and stir until both are combined with the chocolate mixture. Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth out with a spatula. Scatter remaining 2/3 cup (4 ounces) chocolate morsels evenly over batter.
- Bake for 23 to 30 minutes, or until brownies begin to pull away from the side of the pan and surface is no longer shiny. Place on cooling rack and immediately sprinkle remaining crushed peppermint on top. Let cool for 45 minutes before cutting into 24 bars.