- 20 minutes
- 30 minutes
- Makes 4 burgers
The delicious pimento cheese compliments the fried green tomatoes on this classic Southern burger.
- To make the cheese: in the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the cream cheese until soft and fluffy. Add the mayonnaise and the cheddar cheese and beat on high for several minutes to get it as smooth as possible.
- Add in the pimentos, the onion, the salt, the pepper, the garlic powder, the Poblano pepper, and the Worcestershire sauce. Mix well. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- To make the fried green tomatoes: in a shallow bowl, place the flour, the cornmeal, the salt, and the pepper. Mix those ingredients.
- Dredge the tomato slices in the flour/cornmeal mixture until they're well-coated and covered.
- In a skillet, heat about 1 inch of oil over medium-high until it reaches approximately 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Carefully place the tomato slices in the oil and fry until they begin to turn golden; this usually takes a couple of minutes. Then carefully flip the slices and fry for another couple of minutes. Drain the fried green tomatoes on paper towels.
- Cook your hamburger patties on the grill to your desired level of doneness, then while still on the grill, top the cooked hamburgers with a generous helping of the pimento cheese mixture. Leave on the grill for another minute or so to allow the cheese to melt a bit.
- As the hamburgers near completion, toss the hamburger buns on the grill for a short time.
- To assemble: take the bottom of a hamburger bun and place the cooked hamburger and cheese on it. Top with one of the fried green tomatoes. Add lettuce along with ketchup, mustard, or whatever else you like on your burgers. Add the top of the bun.