- 10 minutes
- 35 minutes
This potato gratin side dish may even outshine the main course, with its layers of gold potatoes and roasted red peppers, topped with homemade pimento cheese with a hint of red chili flakes for an extra kick.
- Position oven racks on the middle and top slots, and preheat oven to 375°F. Add 2 teaspoons of salt to 2 quarts water and bring to a boil in a 3- to 4-quart pot. Add potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Mix cream, shallots, chile flakes, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and reserved liquid from jar of peppers in a small saucepan. Cook until chile flakes have begun to stain the cream, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in half the cheese until melted, about 1 minute. Turn off the heat.
- Layer a third of the potatoes in a 6-cup baking dish. Cut any peppers that are whole and then arrange half of the roasted peppers on top of potatoes. Repeat layers until all peppers and potatoes have been used.
- Pour hot cream mixture evenly over the potatoes and peppers. Cover with aluminum foil and place on the middle rack. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil, spread remaining cheese over the top, and place dish on the top oven rack. Bake for 8 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned on top. Serve immediately.