- 5 minutes
- 4 hours
- Preheat oven to 400. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons salt and remaining spices. Rub spice mixture evenly over pork roast.
- Bake pork, covered, at 400 degrees for one hour. Reduce heat to 325 and continue cooking for 2-3 hours additional, until internal temperature is 170.
- Once the pork has cooked for two hours, start on the rice. In a high-walled skillet or large pot, melt butter. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, about five minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add rice and beans and saute in butter for 2-3 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Add remaining tablespoon salt.
- Add water to rice mixture. (Rice should be covered by about an inch of water, so add more or less water if necessary.)
- Bring rice to a boil. Cover, reduce to a low simmer and cook 45 minutes or until rice and beans are completely tender.
- Once cooked, remove pork from oven and let rest, covered, 5-10 minutes.
- Slice or shred pork and serve immediately with rice.