- 30 minutes
- 2 hours and 40 minutes
- 10 servings
Surprise your guests this Thanksgiving with a slice of juicy prime rib, coated in a herb mixture, and served alongside oven roasted potatoes.
- Mix together bay leaves, sage, oil, salt, and the orange zest in a small bowl. Sprinkle with pepper. Rub herb mixture evenly over the entire roast. Cover the roast and refrigerate overnight.
- Add potatoes into a large pot of water. Bring to a boil; add salt. Allow to cook for 5 minutes and then drain. Use the prongs of a fork to score lines lengthwise in each potato.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Position the roast, with the fat side up, on a metal roasting pan. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour so that it may reach room temperature.
- Cook the roast for 15 minutes then add the potatoes and roast for an additional 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F. Roast, rotating the potatoes after 30 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into meat (away from bone) registers 115 degrees F for rare, about 1 hour.
- Let stand 20 minutes (temperature should rise to 125 degrees F), and slice. Add bay leaves and sage for garnish, and serve.