- 30 minutes
- 28 minutes
- 6 (makes 12 skewers)
- Soak a dozen wooden skewers in a shallow sink of water. This will prevent the skewers from burning on the grill.
- Preheat oven to 450Â° F. Even though you will be grilling the kabobs, youâll want to roast the carrots first to soften them a bit and give them a little caramelized flavor.
- Next, itâs time to prep the vegetables. Start with the carrots. Peel them, discard the ends and cut the carrots into 1-inch chunks.
- Put the carrots on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes while you are prepping the other vegetables.
- Next, cut the bell peppers. Start by using a sharp knife to cut a circle around the stem, then pull out the cap and remove the core and seeds. Then cut into 2-inch sections that will work on a skewer.
- Then cut the squash in half lengthwise and then into 1-inch chunks.
- Next, peel and cut the red onion into quarters so that you will have pieces to thread on a skewer.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Remove the carrots from the oven. Youâll need tongs to string them on the skewers so theyâre not too hot to handle.
- Then, start threading the skewers. String the vegetables on in order of colors of the rainbow: red (tomatoes and peppers), orange (carrots and peppers), yellow (carrots and peppers), green (squash), red onion and purple carrots.
- Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Serve with rice or other barbecue dishes.