- 15 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 24 cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small mixing bowl, sift together the flour and cocoa powder and set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whip the butter with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the sugar, egg, and vanilla extract and mix until smooth. Next, add in the food coloring and stir until the mixture is red throughout.
- Slowly, using the electric mixer to mix, add a little bit of flour into the other ingredients and mix until a cookie consistency forms, about 1-2 minutes.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough from bowl, roll into a ball between hands and then roll in the sanding sugar or the sprinkles.
- Place parchment paper or aluminum foil down on cookie sheets and place balls of dough on sheet, about 2 inches from each out. Using the backside of a tsp measuring spoon, press down the middle of the cookie dough lightly to form an indentation where the icing will go.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, prepare the cream cheese icing. In a clean bowl, whip together the cream cheese, egg yolk, vanilla extract and the sugar until creamy smooth.
- After 10 minutes, remove the cookies form the oven, use the back of the teaspoon again and lightly press the middle of the cookies again. Scoop 1 tsp of the cream cheese mixture and place in the center crevice of each cookie.
- Place the cookies back in the oven and bake for an additional 12-15 minutes to set the cream cheese center.