- 20 minutes
- 1 minute
- Slice the tops off the tomatoes and keep for later.
- Carefully hollow out the tomatoes with a spoon and push the flesh through a sieve into a bowl.
- Add the rice, herbs and 3 tablespoons of olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper to the bowl. Let it stand for 30-45 minutes so that the flavors can blend.
- While flavors are blending, sprinkle tomatoes with salt and turn them upside down so that the moisture drains out.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Drain the rice, reserving the puree liquid, and evenly divide the rice into the 6 tomatoes. Spoon some of the tomato puree into the tomatoes. Replace caps of tomatoes and bake for nearly an hour in baking dish that is brushed with the remaining olive oil.
- After 30 minutes of baking, remove tomatoes from the oven and add more puree as needed and continue baking. Rice is done when it is tender.
- Serves 6, but it will taste so good you'll want at least 2 for yourself. Variation: Add pancetta cubes to each tomato cup before baking.