- 30 minutes
- 5 hours
Just the mere thought of attempting this dish can feel like a challenge. But your Food Lion butcher is always on hand to help you select the right size prime rib for your dinner. Despite its swanky name, prime rib is just as easy to prepare than any other roasting meat, provided you follow these easy steps. The best way to prepare prime rib is on a rotisserie. In fact, Farberware makes a toaster oven with an excellent rotisserie feature for less than $35. Once you' ve cooked your prime rib, save some of the fat to flavor your au jus, the savory sauce that will accompany your prime rib.
- Let your prime rib rest at room temperature for at least one hour before seasoning. On a large plate, place your prime rib and season it liberally on every side with salt and pepper. Using your fork, tenderize the meat by piercing it in several places. Next, massage the salt and pepper into the meat as much as possible, using your hands to grind the seasoning into the beef. Let it sit for another 15 minutes or so while you preheat the oven (be sure to remove the rotisserie spear before preheating or it will be too hot to hold.)
- Layer bottom of oven with baking sheet and tin foil. Pierce prime rib down the center in the thickest part of the meat with rotisserie wand. Adhere claws on either side of the wand and place in oven. Cook at 275 degrees for approximately 4-5 hours or until meat thermometer reads 120 degrees Fahrenheit (before resting) making it about 130 degrees for serving (which is medium temperature after resting). Do not rely on the clock alone to determine doneness. Your meat thermometer is the best gauge for when your prime rib is ready to serve because the temperature will continue to rise slightly while it is resting.
- Do not slice prime rib until it has had plenty of time to rest (around 10 minutes should suffice for a roast that feeds 4 people). This will seal in all of those wonderful juices.
- In a small skillet, break up 1 teaspoon of fat from the prime rib. Add bouillon base and water and whisk until mixed well.
- Once prime rib is rested, slice and spoon au jus over it. Serve immediately with crusty rolls or starchy side dish.