- 90 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line two half sheet pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water and buttermilk. Add the sugar and stir in with a spoon. Add the eggs, butter, flour and salt and combine using a dough hook attachment. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula occasionally. This will be a fairly sticky dough. Continue to mix until the dough is smooth.
- Place the dough onto a well floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes. Spray the mixing bowl with cooking spray and place the dough round back into the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour or so.
- In a large saucepan, bring the beer and baking soda to a simmer, stirring the foam down. Then remove from the heat.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll into a rectangle shape, about 1/2-inch thick. Use a pastry or pizza wheel to cut thin strips to shape your pretzel into a football.
- Dip each piece into the warm beer for about 10 seconds. Remove with either a strainer or slotted spoon. Lay the pieces on a half sheet pan lined with parchment paper and form your pretzel footballs.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and place in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 10-11 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.