- 5 minutes
- 30 minutes
There’s something about a pasta dinner that feels special. Maybe it’s the comforting feeling you get as you take each bite. Or perhaps it’s the joy that it brings to the whole family. So, this Valentine’s Day, make your loved ones feel special with a tasty pasta dish made with Italian sausage, a red pepper cream sauce and rigatoni pasta. Serve with a side salad and fresh-baked bread from your neighborhood Food Lion bakery for a complete meal.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta according to package directions. In a blender, add bell peppers, chicken stock and tomatoes and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a deep skillet, warm olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic cloves, salt, pepper and oregano. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Crumble sausage into pan and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned, 5-7 minutes. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the pan. Add flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in red bell pepper mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add heavy cream and Parmesan, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with more Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve immediately.