- 30 minutes
- 1 hour
These baked rice balls are deliciously filled with sweet Italian sausage, rice, spinach, mozzarella cheese and Pecorino Romano cheese for an Italian flavor explosion. The rice balls are served with homemade marinara sauce and can be served as a meal or as an appetizer.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. In large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the onions, and red peppers and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 1 minute. Add the sausage and break it up into small pieces. Brown the sausage for about 15 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from skillet and let cool. When cool, place in food processor and chop fine.
- In large bowl, combine rice, cooked spinach, mozzarella cheese, Pecorino Romano cheese, 3 tablespoons marinara sauce, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons milk, salt and pepper. Stir in sausage mixture and mix well to combine.
- Roll 1 tablespoon rice mixture into balls. In three separate bowls, place the flour for dredging, the 2 eggs and the breadcrumbs. Roll each ball first in flour, then egg, then the breadcrumbs. Place on a plate.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add the rice balls, being careful not to crowd them and brown 3 minutes on each side. Transfer rice balls to prepared cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Serve with the marinara sauce for dipping.
- Marinara Sauce: In large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, red wine, basil leaves, salt, and pepper. Simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour.