- 5 minutes
- 65 minutes
- 6 sevings
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spread an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with butter.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into 1/8-inch-thick slices. (For the best results, use a food processor, mandolin, or vegetable slicer.)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the 2 tablespoons butter, half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Add the potatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat so the liquid simmers. Stir occasionally until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Spread half of the potatoes and liquid in the baking dish. Evenly add the cheese. Add a layer of the remaining potatoes.
- Bake until lightly browned and bubbly, about 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with paprika and garnish with parsley.