- 30 minutes
- 20 minutes
Shepherd's pie is a hearty, filling, Irish dish that is loaded with potatoes and cheesy beef.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook the potatoes until tender. Remove from water and mash. Add 1/4 cup butter and onion and mix well. Save water
- Using the leftover potato water, cook carrots until tender. Remove the carrots and mash. Discard water.
- In a frying pan, heat olive oil and add onions until tender and soft. Add in the ground beef and cook until well browned. Add in the flour, ketchup and beef broth. Boil and then immediately reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a baking dish, spread the ground beef on the bottom and layer the carrots on top. Top with cheese and then the mashed potato mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes.