- 1 hour
- 5 minutes
- 4 servings
This colorful salad makes a light and refreshing first course. Or double the recipe to make the servings more substantial and serve as a do-ahead main course for a steamy summer night.
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Set aside.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the lemon rind, lemon juice, bay leaf, peppercorns, and salt. Boil for a few minutes.
- Add the shrimp. Remove the pan from the heat. Cover and let stand for about 5 minutes. (Check for doneness just as soon as a few shrimp pop up to the top of the water. The shrimp are done when the thickest part of the flesh is opaque.)
- Drain the cooked shrimp immediately in a colander and run under cold water. Discard the cooking liquid and seasonings. Cool the shrimp for about 10 minutes. Then cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- For each serving, arrange a row of 3 tomato wedges, 3 shrimp, and 3 watermelon slices. Drizzle with about 2 tablespoons of the dressing. Top with feta and basil leaves. Sprinkle with pepper.