- 20 minutes
- 7 hours
Who says Gumbo needs to take tons of work? This roux-free slow-cooker recipe proves Cajun flavor doesn't require tons of effort, and in fact chopping is the only real work this delicious recipe entails. Served over warm rice, this gumbo is pure, simple goodness.
- In a large skillet, brown sausage until crispy. Once crispy, remove and set aside.
- Cut chicken thighs into 1" chunks. Season with salt and 1tsp. black pepper and brown in the sausage skillet. Once browned, about two minutes per side, remove from heat.
- Combine chicken, sausage, chopped vegetables, spices, stock, and water in a large crock pot. Stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 30 minutes, then reduce heat to low and cook 6 hours.
- Add shrimp and continue cooking 20 minutes. Meanwhile, dissolve cornstarch in water and add to crockpot.
- Once shrimp is bright pink, turn off heat and serve immediately over warm rice. Garnish with flat-leaf parsley if desired.