- 20 minutes
- 2 1/2 hours
- Pat the lamb shanks dry with paper towels.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium to high heat. Once the oil is very hot, brown the lamb shanks, working in batches until they are browned on all sides. Remove from the pot and place on a plate.
- Turn the heat down to medium low. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Sprinkle the vegetables with flour and cook for a few minutes, until all the flour is slightly cooked. Stir with a wooden spoon. Add the wine and deglaze the pan, scraping all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken stock, tomato paste, thyme leaves, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper and stir. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the lamb shanks back to the pot, squeezing them in to fit.
- Place the Dutch oven, with cover on, into a preheated 350 degree oven and cook for about 2 1/2 hours. Check the lamb shanks several times throughout the cooking process. Flipping them if necessary. The lamb will be very tender and fall off the bone. Wine sauce will have thickened.
- Serve over roasted garlic mashed potatoes.