- 30 minutes
- 12 minutes
- 8 pretzels
These soft pretzels are oh-so-doughy and salty, making them the perfect snack when dipped in your favorite sauce.
- Set the oven to 475 degrees and prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix yeast with warm water and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with hook attachment. Stir until the mixture becomes "frothy". Mix in salt and 1 tablespoon of melted butter. Add 1 cup flour at a time to the mixture until it becomes less sticky and forms dough.
- Press your finger into the dough, and if it bounces back, begin kneading. Knead dough for 5 minutes until smooth. Shape the dough into a ball and put it back into the bowl. Allow it to sit for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make the baking soda bath.
- Add 2 cups of water and 4 the baking soda in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Heat until the baking soda is mostly dissolved. Remove from heat and allow it to reach a lukewarm temperature. Transfer into a 9x9 baking dish.
- Flatten the dough a little using the palm of your hand. Cut dough into 8 sections. Roll up each section into a long rope, about 19-20 inches long. Carefully form a pretzel shape and transfer to baking soda bath for 2 minutes, ensuring the whole pretzel is covered by the water. Remove the pretzel from the bath and place on the prepared baking sheet. Re-shape it slightly if needed. Sprinkle salt over each pretzel while they are still wet. Repeat these steps for all 8 pretzels.
- Bake the pretzels in the preheated oven for 8-9 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat and brush with 6 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Enjoy immediately or store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days.