- 12 minutes
- 1 hour
- 12 to 15 cookies
- Take the sugar cookie dough and incorporate the flour into the dough until it's thoroughly combined.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of ¼ inch.
- Use the cookie cutter to cut out the cookies.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in a 350-degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes. (Keep an eye on them—don't let them get too brown.)
- Remove from the oven and use the flat-bottomed glass (choose a glass that's about ½-inch smaller in diameter than the cookies) to gently press down in the center of each cookie to create the "sombrero brim" around the edge.
- Let the cookies cool.
- To decorate the cookies, take the cookie icing and one of the gumdrops: apply a small amount of icing to the bottom of the gumdrop and place it in the middle of the cookie to form the crown of the sombrero.
- Pipe an additional circle of icing around the base of the gumdrop and apply sprinkles, sanding sugar, pearls, or nonpareils to the icing.
- Pipe additional icing around and on the brim and add decorations as shown in the photograph—or make up your own ideas!
- You can decorate all of the cookies identically or make each one different—kids love participating in the decorating because there's no wrong way to do it!