- 20 Minutes
- 30 Minutes
Everyone will become a fan of grits after tasting this custardy, buttermilk grit pie. Learn how to make southern grits pie dessert today with our recipe!
- Bring water and salt to boil in a small saucepan. Once boiling, slowing whisk in grits. Reduce heat and cook grits, continually stirring, for about 5 minutes until thickened.
- Add butter to grits and stir until melted.
- Once butter is melted and well combined, remove grits from the heat and cool.
- In a bowl, combine sugar, flour, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Whisk until well combined.
- Once grits are cooled to room temperature, slowly stir sugar and egg mixture into the grits.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Roll out pre-made pie crust to fit a 9 inch pie plate and place in pie plate. Flute pie crust edges.
- Add grits filling to pie crust.
- Bake pie at 325 for 30-35 minutes until grits are set and crust is golden.
- You can serve grits pie warm or at room temperature. Garnish with whipped cream and fresh orange slices or strawberries.