- 45 Minutes
- 20 Minutes
- Makes 12 - 15 Biscuits
Beaten biscuits are a traditional Maryland favorite. There are many modern adaptations, but here you can learn how to make these from scratch!
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder until well mixed.
- Using a pastry blender or your hands, cut in the lard until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add water slowly into the dough and mix.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and beat with a wooden rolling pin for 30 minutes until the dough is blistered (little air pockets start to break). Every few minutes, re-fold the dough and beat it out again. Repeat over and over for the 30 minute period.
- Create golf ball–sized dough balls and place them on a lined baking sheet, flattening them slightly. Poke holes in the top of each biscuit with a fork.
- Bake in a 400-degree oven for 20 minutes.