- 20 Minutes
- 40 Minutes
This easy southern seafood dish is the best way to make shrimp and rice this summer. Learn how to make shrimp purloo for dinner or lunch comfort food!
- In a large cast iron Dutch oven, cook the bacon until crispy. Once it’s crispy, remove the bacon, drain on paper towels and crumble. Set aside.
- To the Dutch oven, add the onion, the garlic, the celery, and the bell peppers. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened.
- Add the salt and the black pepper, along with the white wine. Cook, stirring frequently, for the next 3 to 5 minutes, to allow the liquid to reduce.
- Stir in the seafood stock, the tomatoes, and the rice.
- Cover the Dutch oven and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover and stir in the shrimp. Re-cover the Dutch oven and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until the shrimp are done.
- If you notice that the mixture is becoming too thick, add additional water.
- Spoon into bowls and top with fresh parsley and the crumbled bacon.