- 30 Minutes
- 3 Hours
- 14 - 16
- Combine finely chopped vegetables with all spices. Mix very well.
- Cut 2” pockets throughout the surface of the ham; alternate the spacing so the pockets aren’t parallel to one another. Cut the pockets deep enough to reach the center of the ham.
- Stuff the spiced vegetable mix deeply into each pocket, filling the pockets as full as possible.
- Place the stuffed ham inside an old pillow case, and fill with remaining spiced vegetables to surround the ham. Alternatively, coat the ham in remaining spiced vegetables, and cover tightly with three layers of cheesecloth.
- Tie the pillowcase or cheesecloth tightly shut.
- Place the ham into a very large pot, and cover the ham with water. Bring to a light boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cover the pot, and simmer the ham for about 20 minutes per pound, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 F.
- Turn off the heat. Leave the ham in the pot, and allow it to cool for about two hours while still submerged in the water.
- Remove the ham from the pot, drain it, and transfer it to the refrigerator.
- Refrigerate for at least six house, but preferably overnight.
- Slice the ham and serve cold with additional stuffing.