- 20 minutes
- 60 minutes
- 6-8 as a side
Baked beans don't need to take all day! This recipe utilizes canned beans to get this amazing side dish on the table in just an hour. Full of rich flavor, these can be finished in the oven or on the grill for extra smokey flavor.
- Preheat oven to 350, or prepared grill, if using.
- In a large cast iron skillet, cook the bacon until crispy, about five minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to bacon drippings, scraping up browned bits from bottom of the pan. Cook over medium heat until onions have softened, 5-8 minutes.
- Add jalapeno pepper to mix and continue to cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, molasses, ketchup and mustard to pan. Stir well.
- Rinse and drain kidney beans, and add to pan, stirring to coat well with sauce and onion mixture.
- Crumble prepared bacon and return to bean mixture, along with cumin, salt, and mustard. Stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a casserole dish or grill safe pan (a foil pan works great for this!). Bake for 30 minutes, and serve immediately, garnished with fresh herbs.
- If reheating, add 1/2-1 cup water to sauce.