- 20 minutes
- 60 minutes
- 6-8 as a side
- Preheat oven to 350, or prepared grill, if using.
- In a large cast iron skillet, cook the bacon until crispy, about five minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to bacon drippings, scraping up browned bits from bottom of the pan. Cook over medium heat until onions have softened, 5-8 minutes.
- Add jalapeno pepper to mix and continue to cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, molasses, ketchup and mustard to pan. Stir well.
- Rinse and drain kidney beans, and add to pan, stirring to coat well with sauce and onion mixture.
- Crumble prepared bacon and return to bean mixture, along with cumin, salt, and mustard. Stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a casserole dish or grill safe pan (a foil pan works great for this!). Bake for 30 minutes, and serve immediately, garnished with fresh herbs.
- If reheating, add 1/2-1 cup water to sauce.