- 20 Minutes
- 35 Minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix the chocolate fudge cake mix, vegetable oil, milk, eggs and vanilla extract in a large bowl on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Mix in enough black food coloring until the desired color is achieved.
- Evenly divide the batter between the prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the hot cake pans on a wire rack and allow to cool to room temperature for 30 minutes and remove from cake pan.
- Beat the butter in a large mixer bowl on medium speed for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat on medium-low speed until incorporated. Add the vanilla and just enough milk until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Beat the buttercream on medium-high speed for 4-5 minutes. Add the desired amount of purple food coloring and mix to combine. Frost the cooled cakes to form a two-layer cake and decorate with the Halloween sprinkles.
Recipe Tip: To make spooky velvet cupcakes, divide the batter between 24 cupcake tins and bake for 15-18 minutes.