- 20 minutes
- 30 minutes
Pair the springtime duo of rhubarb and strawberry into a delicious dessert topping for these delightful spring sundaes. Shortbread cookies are the perfect accompaniment.
- In a large saucepan, place the sugar, water, and rhubarb. Cook, stirring frequently, until the rhubarb starts to soften, about 10 minutes or so.
- Add the strawberries and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes. You can serve this warm or refrigerate for up to a week.
- To make the cookies: Cream the butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the flour and continue stirring until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Place the dough balls on a lined cookie sheet, approximately 2 inches apart. Use a flower-themed cookie press to stamp a flower on each cookie. Use the turbinado sugar for the center of the flower.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- Place some vanilla ice cream in each serving dish, pour the rhubarb/strawberry mixture over the ice cream, and serve with a shortbread cookie.