- 10 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 24 cookies
Get creative and decorate these sweet strawberry sugar cookies with colorful icing and sprinkles for a fun and flavorful Valentine's Day activity.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar and butter and whisk together until fluffy.
- Add the cream and vanilla, and stir.
- Combine the salt, baking powder, flour, and powdered drink mix, then add the dry ingredients to the sugar/butter mixture, then mix thoroughly.
- Roll the dough out to a thickness of ¼ inch. Use heart-shaped cookie cutters of various sizes to cut out your cookies.
- After you’ve cut out the cookies, place on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Wait several hours (until the cookies are completely cool) before icing.
- Put half of your royal icing into piping bags or squeeze bottles. Add water to the remaining icing in small amounts until the icing is thinned – when you dip a toothpick into it and pull it out, you should get a thin ribbon of icing running off the toothpick. This is your flood icing. Put the flood icing into squeeze bottles.
- Use the royal icing to pipe outlines onto your flower cookies.
- Use the flood icing to fill outlined areas.
- To create the strawberry cookies, outline with red royal icing, fill with white flood icing, and before the flood icing has a chance to set, pipe dots of white flood icing in a polka-dot pattern into the red flood icing.
- To create the white sprinkle cookies, outline with white royal icing, fill with white flood icing, and immediately sprinkle with Valentine's sprinkles.
- Or you can skip the sprinkles and use red royal icing to pipe Valentine's themed messages into the white flood icing.
- For a variation, use Cake Mate red icing and a star tip to pipe a border around the finished cookies.