- 20 minutes
- 5 minutes
Fry breads is a Native American tradition, and this apple-stuffed version is simply spectacular.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer and using the dough hook, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, then add the shortening. Mix slowly on low, adding the water as needed, until the dough forms a ball.
- Divide the dough into 12 smaller balls. With your hands, press each ball into a 4-inch circle.
- On one half of each circle, place several pieces of apple. Use a bit of water to moisten around the edge of the dough, then fold the other half of the dough over the apples and press the edges together with a fork.
- In a pot suitable for deep frying, place 1-inch of oil and heat to 350 degrees. Using a slotted spoon, carefully place each fry bread into the oil. After about a minute, flip each bread; fry until each side is golden brown. (Be very careful when working around hot oil!) Remove from the oil and place on paper towels to soak up the excess oil.
- Optional: When slightly cooled but still warm, place each fry bread in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon and coat each side. Prepare to be amazed!