- 20 minutes
- 45 minutes
This flavorful quiche is the perfect egg-free option for Mother’s Day, family get-togethers or weekend brunch. Filling, savory and full of veggies and protein, it’s a great way to start any morning.
- First prepare the crust by combining the flour and ½ teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl. Then add the margarine and use a knife or pastry cutter to cut it into the flour until most of it is in pea-sized chunks. Add water one tablespoon at a time and when a dough just starts to form, knead with your hands until water is worked through, adding more if necessary. The dough will still be dry and crumbly, but it should stick together when squeezed between your fingers.
- Press the crust mixture into a well-greased 9-inch pie pan. Use your fingers to mold the mixture to the bottom and sides then place in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. When it’s hot, add in the asparagus and onion and stir frequently until the onions are translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the tofu, nutritional yeast, dairy-free milk, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and puree until smooth. It will resemble the consistency of hummus. Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the asparagus and onion mixture, sun dried tomatoes and vegan cheese.
- Scrape the mixture into your prepared crust, topping with additional asparagus if desired, and bake at 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until the top of the quiche is semi firm to the touch. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving warm.