- 5 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 6 to 8 servings
- Bring the chicken broth to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cover and adjust the heat to maintain a simmer.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and stir until melted. Add the rice and stir to coat with the butter.
- Add the wine and simmer to evaporate, about 2 minutes. Pour 1/2 cup of the simmering broth into the rice. (Maintain a cooking temperature high enough so that the hot broth bubbles when it is added to the rice.) Cook, stirring constantly, until the broth is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Continue to add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until it is mostly absorbed and evaporated before adding more.
- Cook the rice, adding broth as needed, until the rice is tender but still slightly firm to the bite, about 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Stir in the squash, cheese, cranberries, and pepper. Add salt to taste.