- 20 minutes
- 25 minutes
- 4 to 6 servings
This spectacular side dish may look extravagant, but the ingredient list is short, sweet, and simple. Fresh herbs bring out the best in these fall and winter vegetables and the careful attention to detail is sure to impress dinner guests.
- Using a mandolin slicer, slice the sweet potato and zucchini into uniform rounds. Toss them in the olive oil and salt.
- In a food processor, combine the walnuts and nutritional yeast, pulsing just until the walnuts are well chopped.
- Begin placing the zucchini and sweet potato in a round casserole dish or pie pan. Alternate zucchini and sweet potato working in a spiral from the middle until one layer is formed that covers the bottom of the pan.
- Once one layer is complete, add half of the rosemary and thyme and 1/3 of the walnut mixture. Add another layer working the same spiral with alternating zucchini and sweet potato and once complete and the remainder of rosemary and thyme and another 1/3 of the walnut mixture. Add a third and final layer in the same manner and top with remaining walnut mixture.
- Place in an oven heated to 400 degrees covered with aluminum foil for 15 minutes, then remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes. Extract from oven, garnish with thyme, and serve immediately.